Nature . Efficiency . Quality . Community
These four principles are the pillars of our development at Rockwood Heights. Here’s our vision and how we’re carrying it out.
1. Maintain the natural landscape.
Throughout every stage of development we’ve worked to preserve the natural habitat and live in harmony with our beautiful surroundings by
- Donating 8 acres of adjacent green space to the City of Nanaimo for use as a park.
- Applying Xeriscape design to conserve water by choosing indigenous plants that require no watering and have water-retaining abilities.
- Adding hiking trails through existing plants and trees, mother nature does the watering.
- Using minimum site preparation to reduce impact and disturbance of wildlife and trees.
- Collecting rainwater and redirecting the majority of it back into the surrounding ground through storm water management.
2. Promote maximum energy efficiency.
Every home and townhome shares these high-efficient features that save energy and reduce monthly utility bills for homeowners.
- Energy Star kitchen and laundry appliances
- Low E double-glazed Starline Windows
- Forced air HVAC heat pump (auxiliary electric furnace)
- Gas-fired hot water on demand
- Maximum thermal protection R20 insulation
- Water-saving toilets, taps and showerheads
- Ample southern exposure for all homes
3. Use high quality design and products.
Our innovative design and top-quality products make a big difference in both durability and comfort in all Rockwood Heights residences.
Advanced geo-technical design & seismic code compliance
- ThyssenKrupp elevator in each townhome
- Locally quarried K2 Stone (home exteriors, interior fireplaces)
- Durable & sustainable HardiePlank siding
- 5/8” gypsum board to reduce sound between townhomes
- Energy efficient products (see above)
- Fire suppression sprinklers
- 3¼” Canada-made hardwood floors
- 12”x24” Italian porcelain tile
- Recyclable wool-blend carpet with 3/8” padding
- Custom milled quartz countertops
- Maple and bamboo veneer cabinetry
- Kohler taps and sinks
- Glass tile insets in shower and tub
4. Invest in our community.
Hazelwood Holdings Ltd, the developer, is a Nanaimo-based company that buys locally and hires locally whenever possible. Our business impacts the local economy by:
- Building local roads, bridges and other residential communities
- Hiring local architects, engineers and trades people
- Buying stone and other building materials locally
- Supporting local charities including:
- Vancouver Island University carpentry program
- Nanaimo Peewee baseball
- Nanaimo Diamonds baseball
- Nanaimo & District baseball
- Dry Grad – School District #22
- Nanaimo Midget Devils baseball
- Ucluelet First Nations sports and education programs
- Ahousaht Education high school basketball team
- Nanaimo Jr. A Timbermen lacrosse
- Gizeh Shriners of British Columbia
- Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Central Vancouver Island
- Cancer research-